Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Tuesdays With Morrie

Tonight I went over to Jo's and we (Jay, Jo, Dave and I) watched movies the first one was Bader Santa which I was not overly impressed with just because I felt super sorry for the kid. And there was way to much sex and nudity for my taste. But then Jo put in Tuesdays with Morrie which is so Oprah special movie that was gut wrentchingly sad and if I hadn't been watching it with them I would have been balling my butt off. It was about this man dying from Lou Graric(sp?) deisese (can't think of how to spell that either it is 4a.m) and the man that was dying was Morrie, a retired college prof. that had been this mans sociology teacher 16 years earlier. Anyway, the student sees his old teacher whom he had had a special bond with on Tv found out the man was dying and decided to go and see him. They ended up spending every tuesday together talking about life and all of the things that everyone is afraid of: Living, dying, love, marriage, growing old, being a failure and the list goes on. No matter who was to watch the movie they would take something away with them. It was absoluetly beautiful. I really recommend seeing it. Its old. But I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to track down. I can't really even describe it but one of the lessons that Morrie taught was a budist thing. Everyday look at your shoulder and ask the little bird (imaginary) is today the day I'm going to die? And then your live your life to the fullest, because when faced the luminous presence of death it makes you realize how happy you really are to be living.

I am happy to be alive. I am happy that I don't have health problems. I am happy that I have people who love me because I know there are way to many people in the world that don't. I am happy I am able to give love. I am happy that I can recieve love. I am happy that I know I'll wake up tommorrow and know that things will go wrong, because it makes you grateful for the times when things do go right. Overall in life, shit happens you go on, you get over it and are thankful for each passing day that your alive to feel pain, that your alive to feel happy. I really wish that Aarron, the classmate of mine who recently killed himself had known that. I really wish he had known how many people loved him, I think that if he had seen his friends and family at the funeral and even the people he probably never thought of... if he could see the pain he caused them by giving up on life I don't think he ever would have done it. I never really posted about it. Josie touched on him dying on her blog. But the movie really made me think of how valueable and precious life is. At any moment you could be gone. And we should all be thankful for each second that we get.

4 comments:

Karissa (mommy) said...

I completely agree with you Amber. Shit happens for a reason and you should take what you can from it and learn. I totally believe that everything you do in life is just a path to your death, so you should at least make it the best path possible. Cheesy, I know, but it's true...

KSoFM said...

That's Lou GEHRIG. A NY Yankee.

Josie, group organizer said...

I think about how my mother took her life and I stare at baby pictures of me with her holding me and loving me. Then I stare at my daughter and realize no matter how bad shit gets I could never hurt her that same way. Sometimes it only takes a movie, a memory, or someone to make you really appreciate life. I really wish Aaron could have seen that too.

BoneDaddy said...

Know what's weird? I took from Bad Santa what you took from Tuesdays With Morrie. The whole movie was basically this guys realization that he was a failure in life, and by the end is trying to make up for it by helping out the kid and do something nice.