Thursday, January 05, 2006

Finding a job can be interesting to say the least...

Today Ben and I started moving and the only break from moving that I got was when i went to apply for jobs.

The first position is a receptionist which I thought would be fairly average, mundane and ordinary. Unfortuantely i didn't pay attention to much to what the name of the buissness would mean. I don't know why it just didn't dawn on me.

"Northland Rescue Mission"

do you happen to know what a receptionist does at the rescue mission?

Check in guests (homeless people), give them chores to help pay for their room if they can't afford the $4 a day, give breathalizers(sp?), go through luggage at check in, give day passes and night passes so that they can go out to the bar, and when I pulled up to the building it took all of my courage and guts to go in because I was in a fancy looking new suit and there were people with barely a witer coat on their back standing outside and one guy was actually talking quite loudly to himself as he shoveled the walk.

So I get up the courage to walk in the door with a smile on my face, and the worst gut feeling ever (from being in a postition I've been lucky enough that i'm not in) I have to talk to a guy through a tiny little hole in the wall behind safety glass and he lets me into the office really quickly through a very thick door where I fill out an application and then they interview me on the spot as I'm already realing from the sights that i'm seeing. I don't think I'm getting the job. I acted to nervous and not in the good way I can usually pull off in interviews. I don't know. Plus, I'd probably feel guilty working for $9 an hour in an office while all of the people I'm serviceing don't even have a home to go to. Yikes is all I can really say.

Then I went to Kelly services looking for temp work and i'm going there tom. at 10 for them to give me some tests to see how many words I can type per minute and things like that. So hopefully that can help me out some. They are apparently fairly good at placing their employees so keep your fingers crossed for me. Temp work wouldn't be the best but maybe it'll give me experience so I can get my foot in the door somepalce else.

2 comments:

BoneDaddy said...

I think it'd be a REALLY good idea to avoid working there. You would be compromising a lot of your safety. A reporter from the Herald spent some time in there for a atory, and she was scared shitless the whole time she was there.

Josie, group organizer said...

This is something I'd actually like to do. I'm kinda nervous about the breathalizer thing and I know I wouldn't make any money because I'd feel so bad, I'd come every day with clothes and blankets and such for people.