Work tonight was pretty ok. I got to meet doug who I have heard of lots before but never meet so that was neat and I learned how to fold laundry which is funny (ben laughed and clapped and damn near danced when I told him that. He thinks he's so funny) Plus, with Dougs help I checked in a few more guests. I think I'm getting the hang of all that. So hopefully I won't be a complete major idiot. I mean no offense to anyone because I'm starting to like my new job but its not like its rocket science. However, it is a lot harder than I ever could have thought plus, I've learned a lot in only 2 shifts. But I've also learned a lot of new fears. Working alone there by myself at night with all of the crazys in the world. I mean how long would it take for someone to notice that I was missing??? at shift change???? Plus, what if the fire alarm goes off and people start running around the halls screaming and throwing their hands in the air???? Which depending on if its a real fire or not could be me running around screaming for people to get the @@##%$%$#%# out of the hotel. Ohohohhoooooo lets not forget the pool shall we? What if someone drowns and dies while I'm in charge of the place???? there are so many possibilities for things to go wrong. I know they probably won't go wrong and I'm sure I would handle the situation much better than I think now but seriously those are some major concerns. I'm pretty sure most people could understand my psyco babble.
3 comments:
I've worked in the hotel for 5 years. I have never had anyone die on me for any reason. I've been through a 2 day power outage, a couple tornatoes, a few 911 calls (heart attack and head injury from jumping head first in to the shallow end of the pool, and domestic destubance) I've heard the fire alarms go off NUMEROUS times, but only once for a real fire (and it really wasn't the dangerous anyway) The alarms haven't gone off in at least a year now. There are precautions to take for working by yourself, and you really are safer than it appears. You can lock the front door with a flip of a switch, and the door to the laundry room locks so you can lock yourself in if you see anyone shady looking. Trust me some one would notice you missing after 20 minutes.
But I was scared of all those things too when I started working there, but nothing bad has happened so far.
Are you working during the day? That might comfort me a bit or then again late at night not alot of people check in. You get used to working alone though and sometimes it's really nice and other days it's sucks because you have to deal and take care of everything. Good luck though!! Maybe ask your boss about the procedure if a fire happened, or this or that. SHe'll probably be happy you're trying to get prepared and it might give you peace of mind.
I am her boss, and Ill show her how everything works...
Post a Comment