Yesterday we drove down to the black hills from Medora and then when we got here we checked into our adorable little one room cabin and then drove the few miles to Mt. Rushmore were it decided to rain like a dikens for awhile but it was beautiful. And I found out that there acutally is a vault behind Lincolns head (which I had thought was just a thing in movies) and that the heads on the mountain are a little smaller than I had pictured in my mind. Granted they are still huge but for some reason when you see something in pictures and movies you tend to build it up.
Today we went to a fun little clinic visit because I got a stupid UTI which is just not fun while traveling because there really isn't a bathroom every 2 steps and rather painful so we spent like 2 hours waiting for me to be seen but I'm already feeling better on my antibiotics
Then we drove to Custer which is 15 miles away from the clinic I was seen at because it was the closest flipn pharmacy so we decided to get one of those old pictures done. So in the picutre Ben is a cowboy and I'm a saloon hooker - fish nets and money in the garter and all.
After all that we shopped around a bit before we hopped in the car again where we went to Flintstones Bedrock city where we ate Bronto Burgers and looked around in the little villiage.
Then we drove down to Hot Springs and went to the Mammoth Site which was fun and very educational. It is still an arceological site that is still being developed so if we go back in a few years it will already have changed and they will have found more mammoths (they've already found 56)
More driveing and more driving to get to Wind Cave National momument which was great! We took a 1 hour tour through the 4 longest cave in the world. Where we of course got one of those socially inept people in our tour group that asked a bunch of questions that the guide had already told us the awnsers to. The rock formations were beautiful. The limestone on the cave walls were gorgeous shades of red in the areas we were at.
We then drove past Crazy Horse Monument but decided not to stop as we could pretty much see him from the highway
Then Ben somehow convinced me to go back to camp, get the motorcyle and off we rode down one of the most famous highways ever because it is also one of the most breathtaking things I have ever seen. It's called the Needles highway and it is pretty much the reason bikers from all over the country flock to the black hills just for the privallge to ride on it. By the time we got done with this it was dark. So after a brief stop at a quiznos for one of the numiest things ever we drove the very cold 16 miles back to camp where I am now sitting here blogging. LOL
Sorry for the long post but there will be more to come later.
4 comments:
Oh its so exicting to hear what you 2 are doing on your honeymoon!! you sure have done quite a bit already!! SD is such a beautifull place ... im so jellous ... grand forks can compaire! You 2 Have FUN and cant wait to see you guys when you get back!
Wow, you guys have really packed in activity so far!
It's been years since I went to Mt. Rushmore, and the only thing I ever thought was behind it was four giant asses. I remember the bedrock village, though.
I think those people are planted at caves to ask those questions, like they're employees of the site.
Doug your thing about the giant asses is hilarious because we seen a t-shirt today that said something like hmmm I think we must be behind Mt. Rushmore...
Yeah, I saw it on a baseball cap, that's what made me think that (I was little at the time)!
Post a Comment