Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My little sister is a catholic school girl

My mom calls me and starts talking about the way that the school system in D.L seems to segregate kids by their parents social standing in the community, the business owners, city council people ect have their children in on class and the middle class to poor children seem to be in the other class, And as she was reading the class rosters to me I have to agree. It does seem to be that way. Coincidence? Maybe. Wrong. Probably. Who knows why the new crop of kindergarten seem to be socially segregated as if to groom them with people of their same "backgrounds" but it does seem fairly odd to me as it did to my mother. Who was not happy about the class that Jadyn was designated and I have to agree with her. After much consideration she decided to pull her from the public school system and put her into the private school. Where the superintendent assured my mom that Jadyn will receive a better foundation for her academic career for only about 140 dollars per month. My parents could not afford this when I was young, nor did they think it necessary. But at least a St. Joes, Jadyn knows a few of the other kids from daycare and dance so the adjustment probably won't be as difficult. Shes really excited, she starts on Thursday, and I really wonder how she is going to react to the fact that all of the kids are wearing almost the same exact things. As uniforms are required. I wonder how different life will be for her because of this choice that my mom decided to make. I went to Prarie View, as had been the plan for Jadyn until today, and I know some of you that read this blog have gone there as well. But I also know that at least Kevin went to the private school. Do you wonder if you would be different if you had been down a different route in the beginning? Its mind blundering how the decisions that your parents make for you shape your life. That almost scares me that one day I'll have to do that for a little person. And I bet April and Kevin and Doug and Karissa are nodding along with me but then I don't want to be presumptuous either.

Wow. My mind is officially boggled

4 comments:

Karissa (mommy) said...

I agree 100% with you that it's scary to think that every single decision Doug and I make for Isabella shapes the kind of person she'll be. It's hard because Doug and I think we are making the right choices, and teaching her the right things, but it's always in the back of my mind that maybe we are doing it all wrong. I guess you don't really know if you were right or wrong until they grow up and either become a lawyer or a serial killer, huh?

April said...

Jayden will love St. Joes. I've asked Kevin what was so different about st. joes and if there was more of a religious tone and stuff. He said that it isn't like what everyone thinks it is... you don't go go chapel everyday, you don't even have religious ed everyday. Jesus isn't talked about everyday. The classes are smaller, the teachers are paid a little more I think, and all the parents are nicer and less "political" In my opinion.

Our kid is going to private school. Probably Sacred Heart if we still live in GF, and you don't have to be EGF resident to attend.

BoneDaddy said...

No real argument here. I attended Minnie H, myself. Back then, at least, there wasn't much of a class restriction. I would have been considered middle-upper middle class, and half the school was attended by native American kids from the res.
Kevin, Amadon, and I all came from three different backgrounds, and three families that had very different parenting styles, but back in high school, we all got along pretty well, despite what could be called class differences.
There are a few things, a very precious few things, that I stand absolute on, and that I think will work to Isabella's benefit. I give Isabella room to make her own choices about those things when it comes to that point, but they're parts of my & Karissa's life that I don't think we'll ever go back on.

BoneDaddy said...

Oh, and April, just to let you know, I've heard some very negative stuff about Sacred Heart and how "strict" they can be, from former students. You may have heard the exact opposite, so I don't know what's really true about it, but I thought I'd at least let you know.