Saturday, March 08, 2008

Yum Pulled Pork

Today I made Pulled Pork Sandwiches which were awesome and I am so making for the next super bowl type event that we have. It took a really long time to cook the pork roast and then shred it but was sooooooo worth it. Obviously you couldn't have it everyday but again I brag Yum! I got this recipe out of my good old Betty Crocker Cookbook that I got for a wedding gift from one of my aunts. I use it all the time. Anyway here is the recipe.

2 1/2 lb pork boneless shoulder roast
1 Tbsp Jamacian Jerk Seasoning (I couldn't find "Jamacian" seasoning anywhere but finally at Walmart I found Caribean Jerk Seasoning, close enough Jamacia is in the Caribean)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 medium onion, chopped (I hate onions so I just shook a little bit of onion powder in)
1 Cup Cola (I used Pepsi because that is the only Cola I drink besides Diet Coke)
2 Cups barbecue sauce (I used Famous Daves Rich & Sassy)
8 Sandwich Buns or flour tortillas ( I ate it both ways and both ways delicious)

1. If pork comes in netting or is tied, do not remove. Spray 3 1/2 to 6 Quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Rub jerk seasoning over pork; sprinkle w/ thyme. Place Pork in cooker. Sprinkle with onion. Pour Cola over Pork

2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours ( I did 6 hrs on low 1 on high)

3. Remove Pork from cooker; place on cutting board. Remove juices from cooker and reserve. Remove netting or strings from pork. Use 2 forks to pull pork into shreds. Return pork to cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup of reserved juices. Increase heat setting to High. Cover and cook 30-45 min or until heated through.

4. Spoon pork onto buns. In 2 quart saucepan, heat remaining juices to boiling, serve with sandwhiches for dipping if desired.

Add Note: I also strained the juices to catch any nasty gunk that was floating around in it, just because I'm a visual person and it made it look gross. We also did not dunk the sandwiches into the juice but I'm sure it would taste alright.

P.S. Bailey has a red raised spot on her gums exactly where Ben and I said she was teething (take that nonbelieving us doctors, it looks like she is getting one of her bottom eye teeth and that is not one of the teeth that a baby usually gets first.)

Plus, on the note of Bailey being on a schedule today she was awake, I kid you not from 8 a.m to well after 2p.m and look tierd the whole time, wasn't really cranky acting but refused to close her eyes and go to sleep. Babies!

1 comment:

April said...

You are making us wait almost a whole YEAR to try your pulled pork?! BITCH!

Like we could eat it anyway.

But it sounds yummy!

Doctors can be so silly sometimes. I mean, some babies are BORN with teeth, so why would it be so unbelievable that Bailey is getting teeth at 4 months... oh shit.. 5 months!