Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day, I hope you have all by now been guilted into starting to recycle. It is very very important for the future of our planet that I hope my great great great grandchildren will be able to live on.

Did you know: That there is a garbage swirl in the pacific ocean the size of texas? This is refuse that has mostly been discared by littering in streets and dumping into rivers. It is 90 ft deep in some places. SCAREY huh?

Did you know: There are new LED bulbs that will be hitting more stores soon that you can use in place on incadesent bulbs but the LED will cost around $30 to purchase but save you $750 dollars over its 10 year life span.

Did you know: Each person produces about 4 1/2 pounds of garbages everyday?

Did you know: I'm getting more and more paranoid about chemicals that we use for pestacides, cleaners ect. they seep into our water and all of the oceans, seas, rivers, lakes ect. They are also starting to find breast cancer in Killer whales.

Did you know: About 1 in 4 children in our country have asthma? Some sources say this may be due to chemical exposure.

Did you know: They have linked certain kinds of chemical expose to Parkinsons disease.

Did you know: Indoor air pollution is a major problem. All of our furnishings, carpeting, paints give off harmful chemicals.

Did you know: Plastic bottles never biodegrade. They will live in the landfill FOREVER.

My Green goal for this year is to get some food out of my garden boxes and off of the rasberry bushes in our yard to do some canning and freezing. Plus, to remember my resuasable bags ALL the time. I'm pretty good usually but unless I put them back in the car they are easy to forget, so my goal is to alway have 4 of them in the car at all times. And begin to transition more into LED or florecent bulbs to save on more energy. (Yes, florecent bulbs contain mercury so they must be disposed of properly, but the benefit is they impact the environment less because they emit less carbon into the atmosphere than incandesent) Baby Steps. I have now been ruthlessly recycling for over a year. I am proud of myself, I even have Ben putting pretty much everything recyclable into the recycling containers, I hardly ever pull plastic bottles out of the garbage anymore.

Also, I'm excited the weather is getting nicer, and I will start to use my bike and trailer for a lot of my transportation. It helps me not get fat and saves the enviroment lol.


Did you know: I want a NatureMill Composter more than ANYTHING right now! Lol I really do though.

Hope you enjoyed my tangent! Happy Earth Day!

2 comments:

Karissa (mommy) said...

First, breast cancer in Killer whales? I didn't even know that was possible. Actually, it's probably not supposed to be possible, but weird things happen with chemicals. Sad.

Second, that NatureMill Composter. Pretty sure it's the greatest invention ever! I now also must have one!!! I've wanted to start a compost pile in our yard, but with how small it is I couldn't ever really figure out a place. Plus, I never really researched if you could compost outside in the winter. I'm so glad you found the NatureMill one. That's freaking awesome!

We had been doing awesome at recycling until there was a butt load of snow. Our bins are in the garage and that's seriously how lazy I am. I'd rather throw stuff in our garbage than walk to the garage when it's cold. :( I think next winter I'll just have to find room somewhere in the house or something for at least one of the bins.

Happy Belated Earth Day!!! (I enjoyed your tangent.)

BoneDaddy said...

I'm suspicious of some of that info. For every 5 pieces of info you get, it seems like 2 of those pieces are false or statistically misread--not saying you're lying or anything, just saying that information can get spread around before it's found lacking for evidence (i.e. thimerosal causing autism).
That being said, we recycle! I even recycle at work, and you'd be aghast at the amount of paper that got wasted there before I got to it.
Yeah, yeah, winter slowed us down and we got lazy, but no snow now, so we'll be at it again.