So today Ben and I went to the humane society to look for the perfect dog for us. Well, we toured everything except the cats (ben didn't need me getting attached to any other animals) and well, I started crying uncontrolably after we left because all of these animals were so cute and sweet. most of the reasons they were given up was because their owners couldn't take care of them. There were big dogs and little dogs and old dogs and puppies, guinni pigs, rabbits, mice everything. And they are all going to be killed if they don't get good homes. I petted as many dogs as I could through there little kennels and I fell in love with a couple of dogs particularly. The one I feel in love with the most was Daisy, she is a black coker spanieal that is old and I know that no one will adopt her because they all have the same additude as ben, they all want cute puppies but you know what old dogs need to be loved just as much as babies and she was given up because her owners were not home enough to care for her. She didn't bark not once, while all of the other dogs went insane. She sat nicely just wanting to be loved. I want her so bad. She has the most beautiful loving eyes that show so much character. Ben won't let me have her. he doesn't think that she is the right dog for us right now. And He says we can "think about it" which is the same awnser that my parents gave me for things when I was little to get me off their backs. All of those dogs want so much to be loved. It breaks my heart. I want to save them all. I'm thinking however, about volunteering. Maybe, then with some free man hours they won't have to kill as many. I can't bear the thought of all of those lovely, lovely, animals being put to sleep becuase no one wants them. Can you imagin how they feel that no one wants them? I can and I don't like it not one little bit.Not one little bit. My only hope is that someone will read this besides Josie and the next time they decide they need a pet they will at least look into adopting them first. Before buying from a pet store dogs that will find homes anyway. Look into your heart and find a place for an animal that no one else wants. Because those kennels and murder chambers are no place for those lonely animals.
2 comments:
I know what you mean. I mean we have 3 strays as is and a beta that was being a cruel fad. Amadon won't let me near a shelter until we have the room to have more pets because I would adopt every single one. Yeah the babies actually get adopted pretty quick. The old ones never do and it's sad cuz they're usually the nicest, house trained, and most needing of love. Keep after Ben about that dog. He'll cave eventually.
For my Senior Project at UND I did a photo essay on the humane society. I went there almost everyday for like 3 months. I got to know the animals pretty well, and when you start seeing empty cages, it gets really sad, especially when you can remember each animal in those cages. But there is really something you can do to help. See, they don't put the animals down any sooner than they have to, and each individual case is different. They do not have a certain time that is allowed before they put them to sleep. They don't put the animal to sleep untill they see behavior problems/changes. Like poor eating habbits, they get meaner, or just don't seem to want to do anything anymore. So what you can do, is volunteer. You would spend YOUR OWN time, any time you want, and go in, sign in, and play with the animals. Really, it is that easy. The more they are loved and played with, the more happy they are and they eat better and such so they aren't put to sleep sooner than they have to be. The cages do look depressing and sad, but the staff there are really nice to them. They get to leave their cage every day and play outside. They also have outreach programs, where they teach the community about the responsiblities of owning a pet.... I just realized I'm rambling. If you actually care and what info, email me... aj_obrien1@hotmail.com
Post a Comment