Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Lost Little Girl

Ben and I went to look at 2 bedroom apartments in out complex to try and gain us a little bit of space. Which is hardly the point of the story but still... We walked into the hallway on our floor and there is a little girl about 2 years old lying on the floor, pounding on one of the other apartment doors obviously trying to get someone to let her in. Asuming she just got locked out and someone would be out there soon to get her we went about our buisness. However, a few minutes later she started screaming bloody murder. So I popped my head out the door. There was still no one with her and she looked terrified. I was trying really hard not to act like one of those busy body neighbors in case her parents were wondering where she was and would come out and get her. So for awhile I just watched her in the hallway. Then when still no one came I decided to start knocking on doors. I knocked on just about ever door on my floor with everyone saying "nope not mine" then finally a lady I know down the hall opened up the door and she said she thinks that the little girl is from the 3erd floor. So i go upstairs with "Brianna" (the little girl) and knock on the door that would be right above the one that she was pounding on. After I hear a lot of cusing and screaming a little boy about 4 awnsered the door with a woman still screaming "who the F$$$ is at the door" "who the f$$$$ would knock on the door" "Awnser the mother f$$$ god damned door" (anyway you get the point) Turns out they didn't even notice she was missing. This is after at least 20 min has lapsed, you would think you would notice that your little girl is missing. And you would think that the parent would open the door and not the 4 year old little boy.

And the neighbor down the hall also told me that a couple of weeks ago both children were running around outside (in dead winter now) without any cloths on. I can not in good consious not call social services and at least file a report. Honestly in a 3erd floor apartment its not hard to keep a child in. All you would have to do is put the chain on. I called the police department who refused to even take an address or anything and by the time we found the number for social services it was 5:02 and they did not awnser the phone so I had to leave a message. Do you think I've done the right thing? I know social services is good and bad just from my personal dealings with them. I also know they can mess things up more than fix them. But I also know what could happen with running around outside in the winter with no cloths on or if some stranger that was not so nice found a 2 year old little girl. I shudder to think.

4 comments:

Karissa (mommy) said...

I think you did the right thing. From the little I know about social services, I think it takes more than one person to complain about a family before they will look into it. So maybe you were the one call they needed so they could look into this family. Or maybe they've already been watching them, but this gives them some more evidence that they may not be the best place to raise a kid. Either way I think it's much better that you called the people you could instead of doing nothing and hoping someone else will. Good job!!

And hey, if this was just a one time thing, and these parents aren't really bad parents then social services will leave them alone and they have nothing to lose.

BoneDaddy said...

I love how "protect and serve" a lot of times forgets to include children. I also love how social services protects children within the perameters of 9am to 5 pm, apparently.

April said...

yeah, you did the right thing. 20 minutes! the person didn't notice her 2 year old was missing for 20 minutes! Even if there are no other complaints, and yours is the first, thats a start, something tells me they'll be getting more reports down the road. I mean, that would be like Karissa not noticing Isabella was missing for 20 minutes, and that would NEVER freakin' happen!

Karissa (mommy) said...

i definitely would notice if isabella was missing for 20 minutes. i mean how hard is it to know where your kid is? if isabella isn't in the living room with me i still know where she is and what she's doing at all times. i don't understand people soemtimes. idiots...